Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Woody Allen

So I’ve been watching a bunch of Woody Allen movies lately, and every one I see I feel like I could talk about for this class, because they are often disturbing or bizarre at parts. However, I’m going to go with one released in 1972: “Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex * But Were Afraid to Ask." If you haven’t seen it, it consists of series of short, unrelated segments each supposedly answering a question about sex, such as “Do aphrodisiacs work?” or “What is sodomy?” It was apparently inspired by a book by the same name written by a physician, David Rueben. The book was one of the first sex manuals, and, published in 1969, became a No. 1 bestseller in 51 countries. Rueben has since revised the book, saying he’s had to change 96% of his original information. There is an interesting article about this at http://www.cnn.com/books/news/9902/11/sex/

Anyways back to the movie, which was ridiculous, taboo, and sometimes struck me as outright offensive. Here are some key moments.

Giant attacking breast, from “Are the Findings of Doctors and Clinics Who Do Sexual Research and Experiments Accurate?”

Man/animal love. This is from the segment “What is Sodomy.” This section makes me wildly uncomfortable.



That’s Woody Allen dressed up as a sperm, from “What happens during ejaculation.”



Anyways if you haven’t seen it I encourage it. Let me know what you think.



No comments:

Post a Comment