Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Grotesque in Children's Books



If you're anything like me, then the title "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" will send waves of nostalgic terror down your spine. Said book series is a frequently challenged (and often banned) collection of horror stories that, taken by themselves, really aren't so bad.

Then there are the pictures.

If you have read any of the books, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. "Scary Stories" had some of the most haunting, unnerving, downright grotesque images that I have ever seen--and remember, they reside between the covers of a book marketed toward children. Are the images less grotesque because their textual counterparts aren't very scary? Are they grotesque enough to warrant banning them from libraries? I can't really comment on either, but I know that I would think twice about letting any of my kids see these images.

-Chris

1 comment:

  1. oh MAN I remember these! We would read them at camp, but our school library definitely did not have a copy!

    ReplyDelete