Thursday, January 21, 2010

Mannequins

Mannequins. They creep me out. I’m not sure exactly

what it is. Maybe it’s their lifeless almost human

appearance. Maybe it’s that some of them are

reminiscent of a slaughterhouse victim. Maybe it’s their deformed genitals. Maybe it’s just their idealized form of what a human should be while being elusively

non-human. Maybe it’s their vacant stares. Maybe it’s

just that they’re better dressed than I am. Whatever it is, they are scary and I would certainly even argue,

grotesque.

Let’s look at a few examples.

index.htm.jpg

This headless bronzed man might be the epitome of the

perfect male figure. Yet I find his vaguely lewd gestures off-putting.

And I have absolutely no idea what is going on in the

crotch area.

metallic_mannequin_female_3.jpg

These cyborgs are apparently excellent models for

showing off the clothing of your choice.

Not only do they have the mannequin non human factor

going for them, but also the robotic non-human quality.


index.htm.jpg

Why this one is posted as a "Sexy Mannequin," I'm not

exactly sure.

She is very detailed in the non-clothed shot, sure. But I

cannot for the life of me figure out what is appealing or

even non-nightmare inducing about that face.

5_year_old_boy_mannequin_2.jpg

Just creepy...

laughing-teenage-children-mannequin.jpg

Once again, I don't think much explanation is necessary.

I love the shadowy close-up of the face.

index.htm.jpg

This one could come directly from some horror

movie about a butcher murderer.

Whoever thought it was alright to take the child's

naked form, amputate the arms and legs,

and make it hang by a hook coming out of its head is

truly demented.


index.htm.jpg

I think I saw this in Terminator or something.

index.htm.jpg

Why do they insist on displaying glasses using a stack of

severed human heads?


I tried to limit my pictures and my commentary, but I

really could go on for hours about it. The amount of

purely horrific mannequins is more vast than I'd even

thought. There's one in center city displaying

high-fashion clothes, yet the face is for some reason cut

in half. I can post more examples if anyone else would

be interested. I mainly just wanted to get this done in

time to project it in class. Because these really need to

be displayed bigger...


-Colby

EDIT: FOR SOME REASON THE IMAGES AREN'T SHOWING UP. I WILL FIX THEM SHORTLY

No comments:

Post a Comment