Sunday, January 24, 2010

Lady Gaga

I'm not sure I really like Lady Gaga, but I do find her a little bit fascinating. I think this video in particular is appropriate for discussions of the grotesque. First there's the opening music, reminiscent of a cheesy haunted house. Her costumes mix the sexual with the bizarre (note the lizard-lady getup in particular), as do her dance moves. And finally, there's the priceless apocalyptic image with the skeleton at the end. This video is full of images of the grotesque, ugly, and otherworldly, yet is also feels like farce. It is hard to know what to make of it.
-Lauren



2 comments:

  1. Interestingly, GaGa has a whole fashion crew - called "The House of Gaga" filled with artists and designers whose only purpose is to craft her image.

    _Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the end of this video.
    Lady Gaga knows how to be original and the most extravagant way.

    ReplyDelete