Sunday, April 18, 2010

Pretty Girls and Bruises

Once a while ago in class we were talking about a style of fashion that couples medical fetishism with teen fashion. While not able to find any examples of Tokyo street fashion that reflects this I have found numerous artists that have utilized this uncomfortable juxtaposition in their work. Here are some selections.

Romain Slocombe


Trevor Brown

It's interesting (but somewhat unsurprising) to note that both of these artists are men (French and British, respectively) currently living in Japan. I'm curious if any Japanese artists (beyond Izima Kaoru who I mentioned in another post) or female artists are drawn to portray Japanese women as hyper-sexualized post-violence or if this is merely an outlet of ex-pat male fantasy. Not that I'm knocking it...not really. If the amazing Jarboe approves then who am I to judge?

No comments:

Post a Comment